This recipe is what I call elegant comfort food. It is delicious and satisfying. Enjoy!
- 1 butternut squash
- 8 medium scallops
- 2 cups of arborio rice
- 8 cups of heated stock (chicken, vegetable, duck, turkey, pork or beef) *we typically have duck stock on hand
- Cooked bacon or guanciale
- 5 tbls of Dad’s Seasoning
- 1 diced shallot
- 1/2 c white wine
- 3/4 c parmesan cheese
- 1 tbl truffle oil (or truffle infused olive oil)
- green or red onion to garnish
- red pepper flakes to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
Prep 15 minutes
Cook 1 hour
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees
- Cut butternut squash in half length wise, scoop out the seeds, peel the skin, and then cut into 1 inch cubes.
- In a mixing bowl, coat the cubed butternut squash with olive oil, season it generously with Dad’s Seasoning. Put on a baking sheet and bake in the pre-heated oven for 45 minutes or until the squash is tender to the fork.
- Pour 2 tablespoon of olive oil into a stockpot on medium heat. Add diced shallot and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add Arbario rice, stir and cook until rice turns translucent.
- Stir in white wine and cook for 30 seconds
- Add 1 cup of heated broth and stir. Continue adding 1 cup of broth each time it is absorbed into the rice. This will take about 50 minutes but you must continue to stir every minute so the rice doesn’t burn.
- Meanwhile, season your scallops with Dad’s Seasoning.
- Heat 5 tbls of olive oil in a saute pan on medium heat
- Add scallops to heated oil. cook until both sides are golden brown. We also add about 1 Tbs of butter within the last minute or so of cooking.
- Your butternut squash should be ready to take out of the oven.
- Put back in mixing bowl and mash with a fork or blend with a stick mixer. It really depends on how you want the consistency of your squash.
- Add parmesan cheese to the risotto once it is cooked.
- Add butternut squash to the risotto.
- Add salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes as desired.
- Put risotto in serving bowls, add onion garnish, cooked bacon or guanciale, truffle oil and scallops on top.
- Serve and enjoy!